After a tripletail fishing charter I always get asked, "What's the best way to cook tripletail?" Grilled, blackened, and fried are the most common ways to cook tripletail. But if capturing the full taste of this delicious protein is your goal, then you need to try it ceviche-style!
Ceviche is a South American dish prepared by cooking with acidic juice rather than heat. There are multiple varieties dependent on country and geographic region. It made its debut in Florida during the late 1980s and exploded in popularity from there.
- 1½ pounds of tripletail (cut into ½-inch pieces)
- 14 oz of pre-made mango salsa (found at most grocery stores)
- ½ jalapeno (diced)
- 2 avocados (diced)
- 1 cup of lime juice (around 6-8 freshly squeezed limes)
- 1½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp of freshly ground sea salt
Combine the tripletail meat and lime juice into a bowl. Make sure that the lime juice completely covers the fish! Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until all the tripletail meat becomes completely white and opaque. Remove from refrigerator and simply mix in all other ingredients after the fish is “cooked”. Best served with tortilla chips. Enjoy!